Last weekend, I made my first attempt at taping. I looked around on the internet but couldn't find any reference or instructions on how to do it. The tape kit that I got from PricePoint.com didn't have anything, either, so I winged it and I have to say that they came out pretty good on the Bullhorns that I put on the Bianchi.
On Saturday, before my daughter's dance recital, I had some time to kill up in New Milford, so I went to one of my favorite LBSs, Straightline Bikes and Boards. They were pretty busy. I picked up a pair of Crankfire Socks and some Planet Bike Bar Tape. After the response I got from putting the Cannondale up for sale I started to have Seller's remorse so I opted not to sell it. Not that I would miss the bike but maybe I was asking too little for it. Not to mention, I haven't really given it a fair shake down ride. One day pulling my two sons in their Burley Trailer doesn't constitute a good test of it's capabilities.
One thing for sure was that I had to do something about those cut drop bars. I took them off this weekend and replaced them with drop bars that I took off the Bianchi. Putting the brakes back on was pretty interesting but I was able to manage it pretty well. One thing that I happen to notice about the Planet Bike product was that it actually had instructions on how to apply it!
One thing I noticed on the instructions was the first point about taping your cables down. I assumed this was the proper thing to do with the Bullhorns and did just that. The Cannondale brakes weren't aero brakes so that wasn't necessary. I was wondering what to do with the short strips and now I know, see step 5. I used the white electrical tape this time but I was able to tuck it in on the Bianchi because of how I aligned the cables.
And here is what it looks like. Now this looks like a bike!
Hey Mark, Thanks for the tips on taping. I've always butchered mine. Yours turned out great. Cheers.
Post a Comment